7.05.2011

Tuesday's Artist: Suzanna Scott

In order to keep my creative tank chugging along I like to fill it with all sorts of visual fuel. This "Tuesday's Artist" thing is my way of sharing some of the artists that inspire and delight me. I asked them to do a little finish-this-sentence sort of mini-interview so we might get to know them a little better.
This week's spotlight is shining on Suzanna Scott. She makes wonderful assemblage and collage pieces. Her work is inspired by "all things old, chipped, cracked, worn, dusty, used, found, buried, designed, loved, pieced, intricate, aged and transfigured." I'm a big fan of tiny art (I just think it's more intimate somehow) and Suzanna does tiny very well. She's also quite adept at combining seemingly disparate ingredients in a cohesive way, while still maintaining a definitely playful quality.

She says-
•If I wasn't an artist maybe I'd be a librarian. At least that's what I want to be when I grow up.
Today, I'm listening to Kansas Public Radio. Classical music is something Lizzie (my 6 year old studio mate) and I can both agree on. 

•I'm really good at thrifting. Practice makes perfect! 
•I'd like to be better at using a sewing machine. I thrifted a vintage Singer sewing machine and I can't seem to find a few quiet hours to get down to business with it. One day soon perhaps. (**sigh**)

•When I was a kid I was a middle child. ('nuff said)
I hate it when my coffee gets cold before I have a chance to drink it.

•My workspace is always in a state of organized chaos. 
Right now, I'm really into Instagram. If you have an iPhone you absolutely have to check it out!
•I hope that my art speaks for itself 'cuz I've never been good at talking about my own work.

Suzanna Scott has two shops-- one for her art objects and one for her vintage finds
Or you can visit her on her blog, Instagram, or Twitter (@SushipotArt).

7 comments:

  1. Another lovely new person to visit! Thank you, Jo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love love love her work. I also love that she has a hard time talking about it (I can SO relate).

    I'm a firm believer that art can (and probably should) be fun.

    Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for showing me your inspiration! It inspires me too. Although I have no talent in your area of art, I can't get enough of looking at it...its magical. Love your blog and get excited every time I see you have a new post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for highlighting another interesting artist! I'm going to check out her other stuff right now.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great work and very inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Jo for inviting me to join in your Tuesday artist interview feature! Lovely to be here and thank you all for the kind words. --Suzanna

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work! And very fun interview, thank's for sharing it :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...