7.12.2011

Tuesday's Artist: Kim Hambric

In order to keep my creative tank chugging along I like to fill it with all sorts of visual fuel. This "Tuesday's Artist" thing is my way of sharing some of the artists that inspire and delight me. I asked them to do a little finish-this-sentence sort of mini-interview so we might get to know them a little better.

This week's spotlight is shining on Kim Hambric. She makes gorgeous fabric and paper collages and art quilts. She definitely has her own visual vocabulary, using familiar motifs over and over again in her work; and a real knack for color combinations. Her compositions are deceptively simple, perfectly balancing symmetry within asymmetry. Plus, I always appreciate a good use of typography.
Mother Faithful Friends
Kim says:

If I wasn't an artist maybe I'd be really, really frustrated. If I had tried harder (a lot harder) in college, I might have become an architect. But at this point in my life, if I quit being an artist, I'd be far too organized (and frustrated).

Today, I'm listening to women who play guitars. Po' Girl, The Wailin' Jennys, Chris Pureka, The Be Good Tanyas, Gillian Welch. These ladies are ALWAYS in rotation in my CD player.

Street Tree
I'm really good at playing with color, reading decorating magazines, buying fabric and making large messes.

I'd like to be better at measuring. Keeping my cool. Drawing.
The Power of Two
When I was a kid I was obsessed with maps and making cities out of anything I could get my hands on, from tinker toys to dominoes.

I hate it when my sewing machine needle breaks and hits me in the face.
Travel Guide
 My workspace is mine, mine mine!!!! And often cluttered.

Right now, I'm really into slapping paint onto boards with old credit cards. Smearing glue with my fingers. Making more messes and mistakes than I used to.
You Are Here II
I hope that my art frees my soul and connects with others.
You can see more of Kim Hambric on her website, her blog, or in her shop.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks Jo! I'm so excited!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the adlib responses Kim gave to your questions. She is one of my all-time favorite artists, so, I am naturally thrilled to see her featured in your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. cool kim :) i love your collage works and i am delighted to see you in this interview! i always look forward to your new works, you have created your own style and its wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This different approach to interviewing reveals unexpected surprises. I have learned a little more about Kim and now know to.... beware of flying needles :-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really enjoyed this interview with Kim; I think her art is wonderful. Also, I like the 'complete the sentence' format you used for the interview- very intriguing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...